In the month of May, there are certain important dates that mark events of significance. These events may be related to a particular country or might be observed internationally. Many of these events are observed to raise awareness about the issues or disease in the world that need global attention. Knowing about the significant days and dates are also important for preparation of competitive exams. This article presents a list of Important Days in May 2023 along with the dates of their observance.
Special Days & Dates in May 2023
Many days of national and international significance are observed in the month of May. A list of such important events that falls in the month of May along with a little insight on each one of them has been provided below. Check them out one by one.
1 May 2023- International Labour Day
To honour the work of labourers and the working classes, International Workers’ Day, or Labour Day, is observed by many countries around the world. A public holiday is also observed at many places on this day.
2 May 2023- World Asthma Day (First Tuesday of May)
World Asthma Day is organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to provide awareness about asthma around the world. World Asthma Day is observed on the first Tuesday of May every year and will fall on May 2 in the year 2023.
3 May 2023- World Press Freedom Day
World Press Freedom Day or simply World Press Day is observed to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press. On this day, UNESCO brings all the press freedom organizations together to assess the state of press freedom worldwide.
4 May 2023- International Firefighter’s Day
International Firefighters’ Day is observed every year on May 4 and was celebrated first to commemorate the five firefighters who died in Australian Bushfire in 1998. A red & blue ribbon is the symbol of this day. The aim behind this day is to honor the fire fighters who risk their lives every day to save life and property.
8 May 2023- World Thalassaemia Day
World Thalassaemia Day is observed to raise awareness about this disease. Thalassaemia is an inherited blood disorder that affects the body’s ability to produce haemoglobin and red blood cells. World Thalassaemia Day is observed every year on 8 May.
9 May 2023- Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti
Rabindranath Tagore, a great poet, philosopher and social reformer, was born of 7 May 1861 (according to the Gregorian calendar) and every year his birth anniversary is celebrated as Tagore Jayanti. Many states in India observe a public holiday on this day.
11 May 2023- National Technology Day (India)
To commemorate Pokhran nuclear tests of 1998 led by late President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, National Technology Day is celebrated in India every year on 11 May. The first National Technology Day was observed in the year 1999.
12 May 2023- International Nurses Day
To honor the hard work and efforts of the nurses all over the world, International Nurses Day is celebrated every year on 12 May 2023 since 1965. A different theme is decided every year to celebrate this day.
15 May 2023- International Day of Families
To promote awareness of issues relating to families, The International Day of Families is observed on 15th of May every year. A different theme is decided every year to celebrate this day.
17 May 2023- World Hypertension Day
With the aim to raise awareness among the people regarding hypertension, World Hypertension Day is observed every year on 17th May. The first World Hypertension Day was observed on 14 May in 2005. From 2006, onward, it is observed on 17 May.
18 May 2023- World AIDS Vaccine Day
Also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, World AIDS Vaccine Day, is observed every year on May 18. This day is observed to offer thankfulness to those who have dedicated their lives to find a vaccine for HIV infection and AIDS.
20 May 2023- World Metrology Day
Metrology is the study of measurement. Every year May 20 is observed as World Metrology Day by many countries in the world and celebrates the International System of Units.
21 May 2023- National Anti-Terrorism Day (India)
National Anti-Terrorism Day provides awareness about the terrorism and the violence that is caused due to it. To keep people informed about terrorism, it was decided that National Anti-Terrorism Day will be observed every year on 21 May.
22 May 2023- International Day for Biological Diversity
To concentrate focus on the biodiversity issues occurring all over the world, 22 May is observed as The International Day for Biological Diversity or World Biodiversity Day every year. A different theme is decided every year to celebrate this day.
31 May 20232- Anti-Tobacco Day
Every year 31 May is celebrated as World No Tobacco Day to make people aware of the health issues that arise due to tobacco consumption. Ash tray with fresh flowers placed in it is a common symbol of World No Tobacco Day.
Other Significant Dates in May 2023
The days and dates mentioned above are not all and other than them there are several significant days in the month. Check out a list of other important days and dates that are to be observed in the month of May in year 2023.
- 1 May 2023- World Laughter Day, May Day, Maharashtra Day, Constitution Day (Argentina), Armed Forces Day (Mauritania), Lei Day (United States), Beltane (Ireland, Neopaganism), Law Day (USA)
- 2 May 2023- Flag Day (Poland), Birth Anniversary of Third Druk Gyalpo (Bhutan), Anniversary of the Dos de Mayo Uprising (Community of Madrid, Spain), Indonesia National Education Day
- 3 May 2023- Constitution Memorial Day (Japan), Sun Day, Roodmas, Constitution Day (Poland), Eid-ul-Fitr, National Paranormal Day (USA)
- 4 May 2023- Death of Milan Rastislav Stefanik Day (Slovakia), Anti-Bullying Day (United Nations), Cassinga Day (Namibia), Greenery Day (Japan), Bird Day (United States), Remembrance of the Dead (Netherlands), Youth Day (China, Fiji), Remembrance Day for Martyrs and Disabled (Afghanistan), Literary Day (Taiwan), Restoration of Independence day (Latvia), World Give Day, Star Wars Day, Coal Miners Day
- 5 May 2023- Patriots’ Victory Day (Ethiopia), Lusophone Culture Day (Portuguese Language Countries), Children’s Day (Japan, Korea), Cinco de Mayo (US), Martyrs’ Day (Albania), Constitution Day (Kyrgyzstan), Midwives’ Day, Indian Arrival Day (Guyana), Coronation Day (Thailand), Tango no sekku (Japan), Liberation Day (Denmark), Europe Day, Senior Citizens Day (Palau), Feast of al-Khadr or Saint George (Palestinian people), Liberation Day (Netherlands)
- 6 May 2023– No Diet Day, Martyrs’ Day (Gabon, Lebanon, Syria), Police Day (Georgia), Yuri’s Day (Russian Orthodox Church), Teachers’ Day (Jamaica), Durdevdan (Gorani, Roma), Day of Bravery (Bulgaria)
- 7 May 2023- World Athletics Day, Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti, Dien Bien Phu Victory Day (Vietnam), Radio Day (Russia, Bulgaria), Defender of the Fatherland Day (Kazakhstan)
- 8 May 2023- World Red Cross Day, Red Crescent Day, Remembrance and Reconciliation of Lives Lost during the Second World War, VE Day (Western Europe), Miguel Hidalgo’s birthday (Mexico), Veterans Day (Norway), Parents’ Day (South Korea), White Lotus Day (Theosophy), Truman Day (United States)
- 9 May 2023- Liberation Day (Guernsey, Jersey), Anniversary of Dianetics (Church of Scientology), Victory Day over Nazism in World War II (Ukraine), Europe Day (European Union), Victory and Peace Day (Armenia), Victory Day (Soviet Union, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan)
- 10 May 2023- Liberation Day (Sark), Children’s Day (Maldives), Golden Spike Day, Confederate Memorial Day (North Carolina and South Carolina), Independence Day (Romania), Constitution Day (Federated States of Micronesia)
- 11 May 2023- Vietnam Human Rights Day, Statehood Day (Minnesota)
- 12 May 2023- International Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Day, Saint Andrea the First Day (Georgia), Day of the Finnish Identity (Finland)
- 13 May 2023– Rotuma Day (Fiji), Heroes’ Day (Romania), Abbotsbury Garland Day (England)
- 14 May 2023- Hastings Banda’s Birthday (Malawi), National Unification Day (Liberia), First day of Izumo-taisha Shrine Grand Festival (Japan), Mother’s Day (Second Sunday of May)
- 15 May 2023- Teachers’ Day (Colombia, Mexico, South Korea), Beginning of Tourette Syndrome awareness month, Republic Day (Lithuania), Army Day (Slovenia), Nakba Day (Palestinian communities), Saint Ubaldo Day, Constituent Assembly Day (Lithuania), Independence Day (Paraguay), Peace Officers Memorial Day (United States), International Day of Families
- 16 May 2023- Teachers’ Day (Malaysia), International Day of Living Together in Peace celebration, Martyrs of Sudan (US), Mass Graves Day (Iraq), St Brendan Birthday & Feast Day, National Day (South Sudan), International Day of Light
- 17 May 2023- World Telecommunication Day, Galician Literature Day (Spain), National Day Against Homophobia (Canada), Norwegian Constitution Day, Constitution Day (Nauru), International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, World Information Society Day, Birthday of the Raja (Perlis), Navy Day (Argentina), Children’s Day (Norway), Liberation Day (Democratic Republic of the Congo), World telecommunication and information society day
- 18 May 2023- International Museum Day, Teacher’s Day (Syria), Flag & Universities Day (Haiti), Baltic Fleet Day (Russia), Revival, Unity, and Poetry of Magtymguly Day (Turkmenistan), Battle of Las Piedras Day (Uruguay), Victory Day (Sri Lanka), Mullivaikkal Remembrance Day (Sri Lankan Tamils), Day of Remembrance of Crimean Tatar genocide (Ukraine), Independence Day (Somaliland)
- 19 May 2023- Hepatitis Testing Day (United States), Malcolm X Day (United States of America), Commemoration of Ataturk, Youth and Sports Day (Turkey, Northern Cyprus), Ho Chi Minh’s Birthday (Vietnam), Greek Genocide Remembrance Day (Greece), National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- 20 May 2023- National Armed Force Day (USA), Josephine Baker Day (NAACP), Emancipation Day (Florida), Day of Remembrance (Cambodia), National Day (Cameroon), European Maritime Day (European Council), National Awakening Day (Indonesia), Independence Day (Cuba, East Timor), National Endangered Species Day (India) (Third Friday in May), World Bee Day
- 21 May 2023- Armed Forces Day (US) (Third Saturday of May), Saint Helena Day, Afro-Colombian Day (Colombia), Navy Day (Chile), Circassian Day of Mourning (Circassians), World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, Day of Patriots and Military (Hungary), International Tea Day
- 22 May 2023- National Sovereignty Day (Haiti), International day for biological diversity, National Maritime Day (United States), Abolition Day (Martinique), Harvey Milk Day (California), Unity Day (Yemen), Translation of the Relics of Saint Nicholas from Myra to Bari (Ukraine), Republic Day (Sri Lanka), World Goth Day, Maharana Pratap Jayanti
- 23 May 2023- Students’ Day (Mexico), World Turtle Day, Constitution Day (Germany), Labour Day (Jamaica)
- 24 May 2023- Saints Cyril and Methodius Day (Eastern Orthodox Church), Independence Day (Eritrea), Feast of Mary Help of Christians (Roman Catholicism), Lubiri Memorial Day (Buganda), Aldersgate Day/ Wesley Day (Methodism), Commonwealth Day (Belize), Battle of Pichincha Day (Ecuador)
- 25 May 2023- Day of Youth, May Revolution (Argentina), Africa Day, African Liberation Day, Geek Pride Day, Towel Day, Liberation Day (Lebanon), Liberation Day (Lebanon), Independence Day (Jordan), National Day (Argentina), International Missing Children’s Day, National Tap Dance Day (United States), Last bell (Russia, post-Soviet countries), National Missing Children’s Day (United States)
- 26 May 2023- National Paper Airplane Day (United States), Mother’s Day (Poland), Crown Prince’s Birthday (Denmark), Independence Day (Guyana, Georgia), National Day of Healing (Australia)
- 27 May 2023- Start of National Reconciliation Week (Australia), Navy Day (Japan), Armed Forces Day (Nicaragua), Slavery Abolition Day (Guadeloupe, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin), Children’s Day (Nigeria), World MS Day, Mother’s Day (Bolivia)
- 28 May 20232- Youm-e-Takbir (Pakistan), Armed Forces Day (Croatia), Independence Day (Armenia), Flag Day (Philippines), Downfall of the Derg Day (Ethiopia), TDFR Republic Day, Republic Day (Nepal), Swatantrya Veer Gaurav Din
- 29 May 2023- International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, Oak Apple Day (England), Army Day (Argentina), Castleton Garland Day (Castleton), Veterans Day (Sweden), World Digestive Health Day, Memorial Day, Statehood Day (Rhode Island and Wisconsin)
- 30 May 2023- Indian Arrival Day (Trinidad and Tobago), Parliament Day (Croatia), Anguilla Day (Anguilla), Lod Massacre Remembrance Day (Puerto Rico), Canary Islands Day (Spain), Mother’s Day (Nicaragua), National Memorial Day (US) (Last Monday of May)
- 31 May 2023- Castile–La Mancha Day (Castile-La Mancha), Anniversary of Royal Brunei Malay Regiment (Brunei), Visitation of Mary (Western Christianity), World no tobacco day
When is labour day in 2023?
Every year, labour day is observed on 1st May 2023.
What are the special days in May?
There are many national and international days observed in May and it includes- Maharashtra day, press freedom day, world athletics day, national technology day among others.
Which day is celebrated on 12 May?
International Nurses day
Spread the Knowledge
Important Days in April 2023: National and International Special DaysImportant Days in March 2023: National and InternationalImportant Days in January 2024: Special National and International DaysImportant Days in September 2023: National and International DatesImportant Days in October 2023: Special National and International DaysImportant Days in July 2023: Special National and International Days ListMaharana Pratap Jayanti 2023: Date, Significance, History, CelebrationImportant Days in December 2023: National and International Special DaysWorld No Tobacco Day 2023: Theme, Date, History, Meaning, Impact, MessagesInternational Day of Living Together in Peace 2023: Significance, History, Quotes